Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am what I am......


"So whenever I'm feeling depressed by the tired old face that I see. Whenever I want to be someone who's anyone other than me" I have to take a small step back and realize that I really am a lucky and blessed person. I love the theatre. In so many ways theatre IS my life. Not just once but twice I've had the good fortune play what I feel is one of the great musical-theatre roles for a man, Albin in Jerry Herman's La Cage aux Folles. This role for a man, especially a gay man, is what Dolly or Mame is like for woman. Only in my opinion and the opinion of a number of reviewers surpasses both Hello Dolly and Mame not only in brilliance of score but also in depth and richness of character, largely due to the fantastic Harvey Fierstein script. It was an honor and a privilege to be Albin at least for the run of the shows. It's hard to describe the exhilaration, the thrill, the sheer magic of standing alone on stage in a spot light, wearing a gorgeous sequined gown and singing the Act I closing number, I Am What I Am. As an actor, those kind of moments are far and few between. As a gay man, to stand proudly and say or rather sing those words, is something I will carry with me the rest of my life. As Matt Crowley wrote "Who is she, who was she, who does she hope to be", whoever you are without shame or apology, or compromise......Life's not worth a damn, till you can say "hey world, I am what I am."

No comments: