Friday, October 3, 2008

To Wong Foo, Thanks for bringing a tear to my eye. Mischa








It's been kind of a crappy year for me. My dad had heart by-pass surgery and is looking older and more frail all the time, legal issues with my youngest daughter, interpersonal relationships issue between me and.......I don't want to even go there. So I've been a little depressed. Not all days are "sit in a chair and stare at the wall" days fortunately, although I've a few. I've still had some fun, had some laughs. The thing I haven't done is quite sometime is cry. Losing the ability to cry is one of the symptoms of depression. Of course, there are many kinds of "tears". Well last night for whatever reason, I started watching a movie I had seen many times, To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. It's not really a great movie by any stretch. In fact, there are parts and lines that as a gay man, I find a little offensive. For example, The Drag Queen of the Year Contest, really! The illusion they represent is instantly shattered by the title. Miss Moonlight over Manhattan perhaps, Miss New York, New York even, Miss Cosmopolitan would do in a pinch. Then we're supposed to believe Wesley Snipes in a dress, heels with bad hair and make-up could win a PAGEANT, the name of them is pageant. Despite some of the insipidness and stereotypical behaviors in the film, there are parts that are SO sweet. Last night, as I watched Chi Chi and Bobby Ray strolling through a field of green and gold, telling her how he feels, she says to him, "I've been waiting all my life for someone to say those words to me", tears started rolling down my cheeks. I could hardly believe it. John Leguizamo is so believable in that role and Jason Landon could not be more endearing. That whole section of the movie actually is one of my favorite parts. They transform Bobbie Lee into a little 50's prom beauty, teach her the Ann Baxter moves, she and Bobby Ray start dancing, sigh. Then the whole town "comes out" and dance with each other. I don't know? I guess, I always like to think that somehow gay people could have the affect on other people. Bringing compassion and beauty into the lives of others. Like Miss Vida Boheme says, "it takes a fairy to make something pretty". Through the tears brought forth by watching it again, I realized the compassion and beauty in myself. My heart felt full. I was thankful for the blessing I do have in my life for there are many. I look forward to the coming weeks, to new beginnings, new relationships. Like the old bearded codger said to the homophobic closeted sheriff at the end of the movie, "One thing about our founding fathers, they all had fabulous wigs!"

3 comments:

Nelle said...

This may sound strange to some, but I know you will understand.

I'm so happy that you cried.

Dan said...

I do two things that garaunte a good cry, One is watch Steele Magnolia's. The other is to take a hot bubble bath and listen to my grandmother's album. She always made the world right for me.

Hang in there.

Dan

mischa said...

Thank you both SO much. That really means a lot me.