Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bat Boy:The Musical puts the bite back where it belongs














Murder, incest, rape, cannibalism, bestiality and lots and lots of blood, what fun subjects for musical theatre, right? If you're ever seen Bat Boy:The Musical then I'd hope you would say, yes. This is such a great little show. It does contain all the a fore mentioned subjects. Yet it's funny, touching, sweet, thought-provoking, disturbing and just a great evening of theatre. OK, so I'm a little biased. I had the good fortune to direct a production of this show a few years ago for my company, City Circle Acting Company. Blessed with an outstanding cast including a seventeen year old Edgar (Bat Boy) whose acting and singing skills were way beyond his tender years. Now he (Andrew Redlawsk) is tearing up the stage of Northwestern University. Who would think that a recurring tabloid headline would make such great albeit quirky musical. But authors Keythe Farley and Brian Flemming did just that. As with all great musicals it's the score that makes or breaks it. Laurence O'Keefe's score and lyrics are outstanding in every way. Using a variety of styles including a little country, a little thirties sound, a little pop standard, it always brings just the right mood to the scene. The driving rhythm of Comfort and Joy is one my favorites of the show as well as the hauntingly beautiful A Home for You. Please check out a performance or two on You Tube. I'd put a clip here but I still haven't figured out how to do that yet. Argh! I am posting of few pictures from my production. They aren't the greatest photos (don't get me started about the photographer) but still there are some nice images. If you ever get a chance, go see this show. You'll love, I'm sure.

1 comment: