Monday, September 22, 2008

Like a bolt out of the blue..........











I know, I know, I know. It's been well over a week since I've posted a darn thing and I know there's SO many of you out there just missing the hell out of all this dribble. Thanks. Sorry for the absence. I was a little down, a little blue you might say. Of course there are those who would say an acute episode of a major depressive disorder but, really! Just like Neely O'Hara, an excessive dose of the right pharmaceuticals and a goodly amount of liquor cures just about everything, I find.




So what should I write after ten days. Well, I did go see that production of the King and I. I'm not sure I should risk my life with a printed review. Let's just say it was 3 hours and 15 minutes long, the director added an audience sing-a-long during Getting to Know You, Crown Prince Chulalongkorn was sexier than the King and the director to her own admission never watched the movie which maybe she should have. The 29 piece orchestra under the direction of Edward Kottick was fucking amazing. One of the best I've ever heard, this includes what you get these days on Broadway.




I watched Aliens for about 378th time. "What do those pulse rifles fire?" "10 millimeter, standard issue, explosive tip, caseless. Why?"




I went to Quire rehearsal last night. The Quire, Eastern Iowa's GLBTG Chorus. Where we're all inclusive, never offending, don't ruffle the feathers........ OK I'll write about the Quire some other time but here's the bitch. Why, why oh fucking why do we have to change the word "man" or "mankind" or "whatever the noun" to some non-gender specific word whenever it appears in a song we're singing. So we change "every man" to "everyone" not a big deal really. But we do this ALL the time in our Quire. It's a poem for Pete's sake. The poet wrote it that Likway. I don't think it takes a genius to figure that poets use the term in a much broader sense than Quire can understand. Later we were singing John Rutter's Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind which is a setting of a Shakespeare text. He uses the word "man" several times in the poem. I just had to raise my hand and be just a little bit of the bitch I can be, and innocently ask, "Don't you think we should change the word "man" in this song, as well, to maybe some word more inclusive". "Well," one of the directors said, " I don't think we should tamper with Shakespeare." But I guess it's OK, if it's written some not-so-well-known contemporary poet.




So I'm going to post some "blue" pictures today. I just googled "blues images". None, though, really capture my blues of last week.

2 comments:

Nelle said...

I noticed your "blues" last week. I'm glad you are feeling better. I could tell at rehearsal because you where talking again. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well... I hope you are feeling better! I thought you had been quiet at rehearsal lately as well. But I do have to agree with you that the correct amount of prescription medication and liquor usually take care of the problem. Yay to cocktails and antidepressants!