Thursday, September 4, 2008

What is reality, mother?



To say I am not a fan of reality TV is the understatement of the year. I guess I'm one of those strange types who thinks TV, in general, is an opiate for the masses. It dummies us down and fills our minds with all kinds of propaganda. What has become known as reality programs have got to be worst of all. Instead of taking an interest in one's own life we sit around the tube watching someone elses life. Of course, it's set up and edited as such to give us the best possible viewing. Do we really care who Tia Tequila, bi-sexual bombshell, chooses, the cute guy or butch girl, as the one she'll possibly date and/or start an almost LTR with. Then there seems to be a plethora of has-been or wannabe celebrities followed by the television camera. Hulk Hogan, Anna Nicole Smith (God rest her soul), Ozzie Osborn, The Housewives of Orange County, Keeping up with the Kardasians, That Rock Guy with the Bandanna. Of course I have my daughter, Caitlin, to thank or I wouldn't even know these shows existed. So where is this leading? I LOVE Project Runway! Yes, my dirty little secret of reality viewing. I can't miss it. I look forward to it. I scream, I sigh, I cream, I cry. I've missed Nina the past two weeks. No one in this season even comes close to the entertainment value of Christian and Chris from last year. I didn't know the "top American designer" Michael Kors existed before PR. How does Heidi Klum stay looking so svelte and fabulous after multiple childbirths? I was a little sad to see Stella get the Auf Wiedersehen last night, I was really hoping the straight boy, Joe would get the axe. And as odd as Leanne was in the beginning, I have to say she had two well-deserved wins. So who will go to Bryant Park. My money is on Leanne, Korto and Jerell with Kenlee as dark horse. Jeez, I can't believe I actually went on record and in print with that one. How can I not give a big old mention to that Tim Gunn. He really helps make the show for me. I love it, he calmly walks in the design room with 2 hours left to sew and almost nonchalantly tells them, "just make it work". Easy for him to say, right? He gets to leave and pound down a couple of cold ones with the boys, no doubt. I love him, any way. Did you see the drag queen show? One of the best. As Varla Jean Merman said when the judges were commenting about her great ass, "You're not the first person to say that". Go Varla Jean!

3 comments:

David Dust said...

There is nothing wrong with a Project Runway obsession!

CLICK HERE for DavidDust's Project Runway recap.

:)

mischa said...

Other not-so-secret obessions, Top Chef, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol, and CSI. Go figure.

Nelle said...

That is an interesting combination there Mischa.

Oh, and the pictures? YUM!