Tuesday, September 2, 2008




I haven't had a weekend like this past one for quite some time. I don't mean it was jam-packed with wild adventures or football games or family cook outs or even lots of sex (not that that wouldn't have been nice too). I had a lazy movie weekend. A long three day weekend where I did little else that park my old rusty-dusty in front the tube and watch movies. Of course, there was some eating, drinking and napping involved, I even ventured out of the house Saturday night to see a local production of Gypsy. It was "pretty good". Actually mine was better. When I say mine, I mean Gypsy was the first big show I directed and I do have to say in all modesty that overall my production just hit the old mark a whole lot more than the one I saw Saturday night. Back to the movie weekend. Sunday and Monday were two days of total self-indulgence. It didn't matter what time it was, it was always cocktail time. I ate when I felt like it, I took a nap when needed, and watched and watched and watched. Some good movies, some bad, some so bad they were good. I have to say I am a sucker for 60s camp especially when that wasn't the intention when the movie was first released in 1967, I believe, Valley of the Dolls. Sparkle, Neely, Sparkle. How often I have used that phrase. Of course, the list of fabulous lines is long, near the top is Helen Lawson's line, "the only hit that comes out of a Helen Lawson show is Helen Lawson and that's me, baby. Remember." God, I love me some Susan Hayward. If you have seen this movie then you'll know what I'm talking about and if you haven't seen it, then multiple shame on you, because you must. And when you do pay attention to the necklace worn by Patti Duke (Neeli O'Hara) when she is singing at the telethon. I can't say anymore than that.

What else did I watch I hear you ask? Well, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Sommersturm, Summer Magic, Night Watchers, Le Pacte des Loups, Superbad (couldn't sit through it all), The Ref, and Tootsie. Whew!

1 comment:

Nelle said...

I'm sure Hello Dolly will "hit the mark" just as well as Gypsy did.

Sooo... that is where you got the sparkle line... I thought that was your own creation and that also tells you I haven't seen the movie.

Shame on me. ;-)