Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias









Not just a great old Spanish proverb but the recurring theme in one of my favorite movies of all-time, Strictly Ballroom. "A life lived in fear is a life half lived". Wouldn't be great if we could live without fear? I do try but it is not easy. OK, I'm not going to ramble on about my esoteric spiritual beliefs of love and fear. This is about the movie. Although romantic-comedies are not necessarily my favorite genre, I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Partly, I guess, because it's a Cinderella story and I still hold on the romantic hope that my Prince Charming will come. Partly, because of the dancing, I do love me a good dancin' show. And yes, partly because of the colorful characters created by the cast. But let's give credit where it's due, it's success is mostly because of the brilliance of Baz Luhrman, writer/director. The dialog is bright, witty and near-on perfect. A constant source of fabulous quotes for yours truly which is always a tribute to great writing in my book. Then there's his imagery. At times it's almost like a psychedelic trip in the sixties. Bright, bold and colorful, it often makes me wonder what goes on in that head of his. Being the sentimental sob that I am, just thinking about the scene when Scot realizes his feelings for Fran, makes me a little teary-eyed. They're walking along and Scot says, " You remember when I said the Rumba, being the dance of love, is just pretend." Fran says "Yes". Scot says, "I think I made a mistake". Oh, that is SO sweet. Plus he has that sexy Australian accent and the actor, Paul Mercurio couldn't be any cuter if he tried. Sigh. Any way if haven't seen this movie, please go check it out on DVD. I promise you won't be disappointed and most likely you will love it (almost) as much as I do. After you do, I'd be curious as to which character is your favorite. Besides our leading couple, Scot and Fran, we have Scot parents, Doug ("Can I bend your ear for a tick") and Shirley Hastings ("I've got my happy face on") Fran's grandmother and father ("You call that a paso doble"). Scot's former partner, Liz Holt. Ken Riling and Tina Sparkle. Les and Miss Leachman and of course chief antagonist, Barry (there are no new steps) Fife. OK, that's it I'm done for the day except to leave you with the last line of the film, "Shall we dance."

1 comment:

Nelle said...

I think my favorite is Liz. Especially the scene when she plugs the power back in.

She looks like a super hero in that yellow tasseled costume.