Friday, September 12, 2008








On my "to do" list for this weekend, among other things, is attending a local production of King and I. I love this show and I have very fond memories of a past production. It was produced by the same company as this current production. Of course, with entirely different cast and crew. Back in 1993, my late best friend directed a production of King and I that to this day I say was one of the two best musicals ever done by that theatre. It had everything the showed required in spades. A gorgeous, spacious set done completely in cherry red with gold trim and accents and dazzling, colorful costumes. A professional sounding orchestra which never over-powered the unamplified singers. And a cast to die for. Not only were Anna and King exceptionally gifted actors in their own right but the on stage chemistry between the two was unmatched. King is an especially difficult role to cast and we had a King who could have played the role on Broadway. Tim is one of the most accomplished, sought after, brilliant, actors our town has ever seen. To top it off, he had been working out like Charles Atlas and had built his body into a buff, bronze, beautiful piece of flesh. Oh, my. Kevin, my friend who was the director, had the costumer rarely have him in a top of any kind and when he did wear one, it was always opened down the front. I was hair and make-up designer for the show. What fun, what comradery what a mess it was getting 2 dozen children and almost as many adults into body make-up every night. Oh I wish you could see the images in my head right now. Everyone wore old shorts or some sort. They would team up in pairs and literally bathe each other in the brownish brew I'd mix up every night.




So will this production come close. I can't imagine it could. I read the pre-view article that was in the paper yesterday. It left me somewhat confused, I must say. Clearly the reporter had interviewed the director of the production who has a much different view of what the show is all about than me. Well, than most people, I would say. Of course, I reserve my review till after I see it tomorrow night. The woman playing Anna played the role of Eliza several years ago in a production of My Fair Lady, I directed. I know she will be great in the role. My heart is so full emotions right now.....etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

No comments: